Crits & Craps
"Crits" are Critical Hits. Crits are what happens when a Player rolls a natural 20 on a 20 sided dice. This is as opposed to rolling a 20 that includes added bonuses for strength or such.
"Craps", well, that's what happens when you roll a natural 1 on the d20. You essentially just shot craps.
I like to do things randomly. It's a lot of fun making things up as you go along. Rolling dice helps create that random-ness.
It's not every time you roll a d20 that a 20 or a 1 shows up. That's a special event. Why not allow some extra fun for such a thing coming up?
Below are tables for when Crits and Craps are rolled on the "To Hit" roll.
On a Natural 20, automatic hit, max damage per weapon type plus bonuses
On a roll totaling 20, including bonuses (roll an 18 with a +2 bonus to hit or similar), 1 less than max damage per weapon type plus bonuses. (ie, if weapon damage is 1 to 6 then damage is 5 automatically.)
On a roll of greater than 20, including to Hit bonuses, (ie, total score of 21 or greater) same as above plus automatic roll on Permanent Damage Table.
On a roll of a Natural 1, automatic miss, no damage.
On a natural roll of Minimum required To Hit, automatic minimum damage per weapon type, plus bonuses
On a roll totaling Minimum required To Hit (including bonuses, ie, need a 15 To Hit and you roll a 13 with +2 in bonuses =15 exactly)automatic minimum damage, no damage bonuses allowed.
Rolled on 1d6
- Dis-arm/stun opponent
- Knock out opponent
- Inflict double damage to opponent
- Inflict triple damage to opponent
- Severe limb of opponent (1-arm, 2-leg, 3-hand, 4-ear, 5-foot, 6-finger(1d5, 1=pinky) 1=left, 2=right)
- Kill opponent up to same level as PC, lethally wound opponent up to 2 levels above PC (takes them down to 1d4 HP)
Rolled on 1d6
- Weapon stuck / snared / dropped. Requires 1d3 round to retrieve or let it go. (animal intelligence will run away in fear)
- Weapon must make a save vs. crushing blow or it is broken.
- Hit Ally - roll damage and deal that amount to a random ally within 10 feet; if there are no allies in that distance, ignore this result.
- Minor damage to self -twisted joint, pulled muscle, charlie horse, etc... lose 1 round. 1d4 damage
- Full damage to self - roll full damage per weapon type
- Lethal hit to self, drop to 0 HP, bleeding out 1 HP/round until healed, bandaged or until -10/Dead.